My favourite fantasy novel will always be Harry Potter. But my nephew and my sister made me read this – Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief. It was a fun read. A lot of inspiration from the Greek mythology, Percy is a demi-god and the son of Poseidon.
Invariably, I drew a parallel between Percy Jackson and Harry Potter. Just couldn’t help it.
1. The hero is sort of ordinary but has a special something (Harry’s survival against Voldemort and in Percy is the son of Posiedon). Both characters have messy dark hair and green eyes!
2. Percy & Harry are both troubled kids, who have no control of their powers in the beginning.
3. Both Percy and Harry are better at fighting than things that involve brains. They both also have groups of friends who fight with them (Percy is helped by Annabeth, Tyson, Camp Half-Blood and the Hunters and Harry is helped by Ginny, Ron, Hermione, the Order of the Phoenix and the DA).
4. The girl is a smart ,clever and almost a know it all (Hermonie and Annabeth).
Voldermot and Kronos are a lot similar, and both Chiron and Dumbledore are nice and helpful.
5. Then there is the nasty element of Smellly Gabe and the Dursleys in our hero’s life.
Leaving aside the comparison (coz I can go on), you should read this book if you like the fantasy genre! It is fast, easy and very adventurous!
4 thoughts on “Review: Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan”
I have the movies. It’s okay. Wanna Harry potter but in Greek mythology. 😁 Still was fun
LikeLiked by 2 people
Yes, absolute fun!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you! 🙂